One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Here I Go...Eating Cookies Again

Social media has helped me learn one important thing about myself, I'm an emotional eater and my food of choice is sweets. I realized that at one point nearly everyone of my tweets and Facebook post had something to do with a cupcake, cookie or confection of some sort. In all fairness I have been pregnant and/or nursing for the better part of 3 years now and burning calories like a madwoman so for the longest time these little indiscretions made no impact on my weight. Well...my daughter has slowed down on nursing and those 600+ calories a day I used to burn breastfeeding are no longer there to help me when I decide that 3 cupcakes for breakfast is a good option because "I deserve it." And frankly, I do deserve it. Running a non-profit, writing, and mothering this is all really hard high-stress work! But I made a vow to myself to have a little more self-control when it comes to the baked goods and stuff an apple in my mouth when I really want a vegan milkshake. 

Everything was going great until I was contacted by Isabella's Cookie Company to try some of their vegan cookies. Who can turn down free cookies?! Well, not me. They shipped me out their Red Velvet and Ginger Molasses flavored cookies the next day. I figured that these would be no great temptation. Store-bought cookies shipped across the country don't exactly scream "moist and delicious." They actually sat on my counter for 2 weeks before I tried them. See, I do have will power. But on a whim I opened up the Red Velvet's one day and to my surprise they were fantastic. Soft, moist and rich. Nothing that I expected them to be. The Ginger Molasses cookies were equally good. I was able to hold on to the cookies for an additional week and they remained moist and soft. 

My daughter found these lurking in my purse one day and all I came back to find was a empty plastic bag with a red velvet cookie crumb trail. So much for our "only one cookie a quarter" rule. I have to get better at hiding my stash! 


This Week's Rating 

Scale of 1-4 Dancing Guinea Pigs 1 meaning it is destined for the compost bin and 4 meaning it is destined for greatness

Vegan Guinea Pig gives these cookies 3.5 out of 4 Dancing Guinea Pigs

Lil' Guinea Pig gives it 4 out of 4 Dancing Guinea Pigs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...