One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cookbook Review: The MILF Diet


A few months back I got an email about a new book called The MILF Diet by Jessica Porter. I thought "Ha, cute title for a book, but I'm sure it's full of grass-fed beef and organic chicken" so I didn't really give it too much thought. But then I decided to read further and saw that I couldn't have been more wrong. The MILF Diet is actually a cookbook that praises the joys of a plant-based diet and takes readers on a journey to wellness and MILF status through the book.

As a mother myself, and a vegan of course, I can attest to how a vegan diet helped me stay at a healthy weight during pregnancy and kept me very healthy overall during pregnancy, helped me bring a healthy child into this world and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle after she was born. In fact, thanks to a combination of a healthy diet and breastfeeding I'm seeing numbers on the scale that I haven't seen since my freshman year in high-school.

The MILF Diet is a diet free of dairy, eggs, meat, refined sugars and processed foods. Although I would love to say that refined sugars and processed foods haven't been a part of my diet anyone who follows me on Facebook or twitter knows that would be a lie! :)  But it sure is a nice goal to have. The recipes are wholesome and delicious featuring dishes like Tempera Vegetables, Super Delicious Mystery Cheesecake, and Garbanzo Bean Burgers. But the thing is, there weren't that many of them. The book is largely a book about how to eat healthy, and the benefits of foods like beans, seaweeds and veggies. I think, for someone who is just making the intial leap into a plant-based diet and hasn't been eating that great for a while the recipes in this book might be a lot to take in at once. Dishes like Arame with Onion, Carrot and Corn or Umeboshi Tonic might seem a little out there and unappetizing but they're not nearly as intimidating as they sound - although I'll have to admit, I won't be trying either dishes anytime soon. Ultimately, as with most items I review, it comes down to price. What are you getting for your money. This book retails for $35. For me, that's a bit steep for a cookbook especially one that isn't stuffed from first to last page with recipes. On Amazon.com it's around $23 and the Kindle version is a much more reasonable $14. At the suggested retail price you're not really getting the most bang for your buck with this book but if you discount shop around you can definitely make it worth your while. One more thing! There are two books out there with the title The MILF Diet and only one of them is vegan so make sure you're picking up the one by Jessica Porter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...