One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Vegan Snack Bar Alert! - New Orchard Bars

I can't tell you how many food and energy bars I receive to taste and review for this blog. Typically they're all seeds, twigs and berries and not worth mentioning and nearly always they are so packed with calories that they could almost be considered a meal and definitely not something I would recommend as a snack. Orchard Bards kin of fall outside of the realm of a snack bar or a meal replacement bar and remind me more of a dessert bar of treat. I don't think this was the intention of the company but, for me, the sweet fruity taste of these bars are the perfect treat at the end of the day and a much healthier alternative to my new favorite candy bar - Jokerz (but by no means am I giving my Jokerz up!)

Every Orchard Bar is 100% true to the taste of the flavor on the package. The pineapple macadamia nuts has candied bits of real pineapple pressed with generous slices of macadamia nuts. It's so sugary sweet I could only eat half the bar at a time. Even though it taste like sugar dipped in sugar there are only 18 grams of sugar per bar which is half that of an average 12 ounce can of soda. Plus the Orchard Bar is packed with natural vitamins and minerals and made of real food products, no mystery ingredients on the label. The strawberry raspberry walnut flavor taste exactly like strawberry fruit roll up and the blueberry pomegranate almond taste like a you dipped yourself head first in a blueberry orchard.

My parents were it own when these arrived at my doorstep and became completely obsessed with them. They would ask me everyday where they could buy them but unfortunately the current distribution is quite limited to just a few retailers in the west - check to see if you're near one of the lucky locations here http://orchardbar.com/buy.html Thankfully they are available online - and my parents took full advantage of this stocking up on cases of the bars. Hopefully this great brand will expand to more retailers nationwide soon.


Currently, Liberty Foods (the makers of Orchard Bars) are selling a sample pack of 3 bars for only $2.50 on their website with free shipping so even if they aren't available at a store near you give them a try! http://orchardbar.com/buy.html

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking forward to the pineapple coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Only 18 grams" -- that's still over 4 teaspoons of sugar per tiny bar (4-5 sugar cubes). Not quite as healthy as it claims. It does taste good -- but yes, it's basically a candy bar or a dessert (or in other words, Liberty Orchards' turkish delight candy in another form). Can't really feel good about eating this as an "energy bar," breakfast, or "meal replacement." And it's so disingenuous when companies list "organic evaporated cane syrup" on their labels, hoping to fool gullible consumers. What is evaporated cane syrup/juice? It's sugar, people.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...