One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Chocolate Hazelnut Pumpkin Pancakes

Once I started experimenting with Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter I just couldn't stop. Pancakes, cookies, hot cocoa. I've been eating this stuff everyday since I bought it! Here's my recipe for Chocolate Hazelnut Pumpkin Pancakes.

Makes 11-12 Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup plain almond milk
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Warm  a griddle or large skillet over medium heat.

Add flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and slowly stir in almond milk, canola oil, pumpkin and hazelnut butter until smooth (I did all this in a standing mixer  with the whisk attachment to cut down on time).

Brush warmed skillet or griddle lightly with oil and pour a about 1/4 cup worth of batter for each pancake. Once edges dry and bubbles start to form lightly check the underside to ensure it is golden brown then flip and cook the other side. Serve immediately with a little maple syrup or powdered sugar.

As an added bonus here's the nutrition information per pancake:
124 Cal (38% from Fat, 7% from Protein, 55% from Carb); 2 g Protein; 5 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 2 g Mono Fat; 17 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; 3 g Sugar; 91 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 248 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol

3 comments:

  1. I love that stuff too!!! I am going to bookmark these and think about them every day until I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire that you made it to the point of making something with that stuff-- I keep not buying it because I know that it's not going to end up anywhere but my mouth via a spoon, heh.

    These look totally delicious though. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might like these covered in a warm banana topping...thanks for the recipe! I will try to find Justin's next time I shop. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...