One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Game Day Nachos (from Quick & Easy Vegan Celebrations)

I'm not a sports kinda girl by any stretch of the imagination. I managed to make it through 2 years of cheerleading in highschool without ever actually learning how the game of football is played. But what I can do is cook up a big vegan feast for damn near any occasion and Super Bowl Sunday is no exception. Here's my recipe for Game Day Nachos from the Game Day Spread chapter of Quick & Easy Vegan Celebrations. Other Super Bowl Sunday favorites from this chapter: Spicy Seitan Burgers, French Onion Burgers, Sun-Dried Tomato Pinwheels, Loaded Potato Skins, French Onion Dip, Spinach Artichoke Dip, Seven-Layer Dip, Roasted Five-Spice Nuts and Brownies.


1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
½ cup diced white onion
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 cup water
½ cup cooked navy beans
¼ cup canola oil
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup cashews
One 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
One 13-ounce bag tortilla chips
1½ cup cooked black beans
2 green onions or 1 bunch chives, chopped
1 cup sliced green or black olives
½ cup jalapeƱo slices
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce


Combine the potato, carrot, onion, garlic, and water in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. The smaller you cut the vegetables, the less time it will take to cook them.

Put the navy beans, oil, salt, lemon juice, cashews, and cooked vegetable with the cooking water into a blender and process until completely smooth.

Transfer the sauce to fondue pot or large mixing bowl and stir in the diced tomato with green chiles. Ladle the sauce over tortilla chips and top with the black beans, green onions, olives, jalapeƱos, and lettuce, as desired

3 comments:

  1. Alicia, just had to tell you that I made the Spinach Artichoke dip from this book and it's amazing! That dip is *so* good... much better tasting than the one I used to make with dairy products! (I did substitute Daiya Mozzarella for the Parmesan - I'm not crazy about the taste of Parmesan and always used mozzarella in it.)

    I have (and love) both of your books - everything I've made has been fantastic, and I've made quite a few of your recipes!

    So glad I found your books and now your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made this nacho cheese sauce a few times and it is so yummy! Thank you for the recipe!

    I plan on tweaking the recipe a bit to make a cheese sauce to go over broccoli and cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell you, I just made the chikun filets from the Celebrations book (for the hundredth time)...and cooked them in the slow cooker!! They came out unbelievably wonderful!! Try it. The texture etc is really different that when I make them on top of the stove.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...