One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Monday, September 21, 2009

Vegan Pizza In A Box

With a Pizza Hut, Little Caesar’s, Papa John’s, Round Table, Me N’ Eds, or Domino’s on every corner it’s easy to forget that pizza actually be made at home, with little effort, and in the same amount of time it takes for delivery to arrive. Not only that but making your own pizza means you don’t have to worry about sitting in the house starving for 30 minutes, running to the door at the first sound of the delivery car door slamming shut only to realize that they put cheese on your pizza even after you said “no cheese” 30 times or they slathered some type of buttery mixture all over your crust or accidentally let a slice pepperoni or piece of sausage find its way onto your all veggie pizza.


There’s something about the accomplishment of slaving away in the kitchen, kneading dough, making pizza sauce from scratch, chopping up my veggies, etc. that makes me feel all accomplished. Like I’ve just made the Mona Lisa of pizzas. I’m a sucker for a good pizza sauce and I’ll just toot my own horn by saying I have one darn good recipe for pizza sauce hidden way in the back of my new cookbook Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food. The trouble is out of my entire cookbook of Quick & Easy Vegan Meals my pizza sauce is one of the few recipes that actually does take 45 minutes to simmer to perfection. It would still be good if simmered for 15 minutes but once you’ve tasted it after 45 minutes, you can just never go back!

With a full 18 credit course load in school right now, work, a new cookbook out and a bakery to run time is not what it used to be in the Guinea Pig home and I like to cut corners whenever I can. Enter from stage left – Ian’s Pizza Kits. Quick, easy and fun to make they come with everything you need to make a perfect pizza except the toppings – pizza dough mix, pizza sauce, and spice packet. It also comes in gluten free and organic varieties. Not only do they make great pizzas but you can quarter the dough and make calzones with this kit as well! And with a price under $5 you can't help but throw a box or two in the shopping cart for a rainy day.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a Papa Murphy's in your area? They make the pizza right in front of you and then you bake it at home. Pretty awesome for vegans because you can see exactly what they put on it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...