One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cookbook Review: Vegan Lunch Box Around the World by Jennifer McCann


I've been a fan of Jennifer McCann's for years now. I've got a signed copy of her first book Vegan Lunch Box from when she was self-publishing, before DaCapo Press stumbled upon her genius. On a personal note I have to say that Jennifer McCann is a phenomenal person who, when I had a million questions about self-publishing my own book, patiently and thoroughly answered my every question. And now look at us, two published gals!

When my copy of Vegan Lunch Box Around the World showed up on my doorstep I became giddy like a school girl, literally. I carried it around campus from class to class and somewhere between Biochemistry and Biological Anthropology picked out my preliminary list of must try recipes.

Even though the recipes in the book are super kid friendly they are perfectly suited for the adult palate as well. Plus I figure if I start practicing now by the time I have kids old enough to take lunch to school I'll be an old pro at these recipes. For now my 4 legged children are pretty easy to please - a stalk of broccoli and they will each follow me to the ends of the Earth! If only human children were so easy to please.

With Vegan Lunch Box Around the World even your most picky eaters will be satisfied. How can you go wrong with vegan goldfish crackers or Pad Thai?! Plus I've always dreamed of having an ultra sophisticated kid who has a better palette than most adults - with this book it won't be hard to accomplish that goal. But now it’s time to get down to the nitty gritty, my top 5 favorite recipes from the book (in no particular order):


Fish Crackers (aka Vegan Goldfish crackers)
Jennifer’s Omega-3 Protein Bars
Carrot and Daikon Salad
Plantain Wraps with Tangy Black Bean Spread
Martie’s Gumbo


2 comments:

  1. I had been wondering how Jennifer's new book measured up; sounds great! Let me know if you want YOUR book reviewed on Go Dairy Free. I just stumbled across it yesterday, and it sounds wonderful.

    My email is alisa - at - godairyfree - dot - org.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book rocks...it's just as good as her 1st one! I blogged about some of her recipes and took pics of my favorite dish from her 1st book!

    http://vegetarianbuckeye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...