One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Restaurant Review: Village Pizza Company Atlanta, GA


I've always been jealous of cities like New York and Chicago where a vegan slice of pizza is not terribly hard to come by. Little did I know that right here in my backyard of Atlanta I had access to great vegan pizza by the slice or a whole pie.

Village Pizza Co. ( 186 Carroll St., Atlanta, GA 30312) , nestled in the heart of the Cabbage Town district of Atlanta, has an excellent assortment of vegan ingredients including soy based vegan cheese, vegan sausage, vegan beef and vegan pepperoni in addition to just about any other type of veggie you like on your pizza. The prices are low and the slices are huge. For me one slice of the Village Vegan Supreme Pizza (pictured above with vegan cheese, vegan sausage, vegan pepperoni, vegan beef olives, bell peppers and onions) is more than a meals worth. Here’s a quick guide to all things vegan on the Village Pizza Co. Menu:

Toppings:
21 different types of vegetables (and fruit) including: mushrooms, onion, green peppers, red peppers, Roma tomatoes, black olives, green olives, broccoli, baked eggplants, artichoke hearts, garlic, jalapeño peppers, banana peppers, pepperocini, pineapple, sundried tomatoes, zucchini, basil, spinach & summer squash

Vegan Meats: beef, pepperoni, sausage

Salads:
House Salad (minus the mozzarella) with balsamic vinaigrette – romaine lettuce, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, black olives & Roma tomatoes

Green Salad (minus the feta cheese) – mixed field greens, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, red peppers, broccoli, Roma tomatoes, black olives, cucumbers and pepperocini

Spinach Salad (minus the feta cheese) – spinach, Roma tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette

Specialty Pizzas:
Veggie – mushrooms, onions, green peppers, black olives, green olives, Roma tomatoes, garlic and cheese (make sure to ask for soy cheese)

Veggie Supreme – spinach, eggplant, sun dried tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, Roma tomatoes, garlic and cheese (make sure to ask for soy cheese)

Village Vegan Deluxe - vegan cheese, vegan sausage, vegan pepperoni, vegan beef, mushrooms, black olives, green olives, green bell peppers and onions

Calzones:
The Village Calzone (minus the ricotta and Parmesan cheese) – garlic, Italian spices and your choice of filling from the toppings selection (ask for soy cheese instead of mozzarella)

Village Pastas:
Classic Marinara – Roma tomato sauce made with extra virgin olive oil, sautéed onions, garlic, red wine, basil herbs and spices

Panini Sandwiches:
Veggie Delight – mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers, green peppers, artichoke hearts, black olives, tomatoes (ask that they replace all cheese with soy cheese)

7 comments:

  1. And the Vegan Meats are actually very good... I give it two thumbs up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I discovered Village Pizza on Yelp, I was beside myself. It's become my new vegan comfort food of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a pizza expert. I like pizza with chilled beer. Once I tried Village pizza with my colleague. I find Romario pizza tastier and soft too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful! Most pizza joints' "soy cheese" has casein in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ace thanks for the heads up but not to worry Village Pizza Co. and Pizza Fusion both use Follow Your Heart vegan cheese so it's 100% ok for vegans and casein free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Does anyone know if they are any soy free pizza options at Village Pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you mean by soy free pizza? Do you mean the type of vegan cheese, the toppings, the crust of all of it. I think they switched to Daiya cheese so that is soy free (but double check this before you order), otherwise you can just got cheese free which I love more. All the veggie toppings are soy free but all the meat substitutes have soy in them. As for the crust I'm not sure if it has soy in it or not.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...