One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Vegan Mofo Doggy Style: Rice & Peas with Peanut Butter/Pumpkin Gravy


No one enjoys leftovers more than my three pups (Brit, Tyler & Piedmont). Mainly because anything and everything that I have left over after making my own meal turns into a meal for the pups. Lately I've been going a little pumpkin and sweet potato crazy - I'm an Autumn baby, what do you expect?! I made a huge batch of brown jasmine rice to go with my favorite Costa Rican breakfast meal of gallo pinto (essentially black beans and rice) and I recently made enough spicy pumpkin soup for 6 people and had a little extra pumpkin puree left over. Along with a few ingredients I had laying laying around the kitchen I put together a delicious meal of brown jasmine rice and zipper peas for the pups and topped it with a peanut butter and pumpkin gravy. They went absolutely crazy for the zipper peas most likely because they have a similar flavor profile to edamame (a popular snack amongst the pups). Brit dove face first into the peanut butter and pumpkin gravy and spent at least 10 minutes trying to lick it off his nose and whiskers before he moved on to the rice and zipper peas. Piedmont and Tyler completely ignored me for a solid 15 minutes while they finished off their meals. No amount of sweet talking would get them to lift up their un-groomed little heads from their bowls, hence the pictures of the back of their heads. The recipe for peanut butter and pumpkin gravy will be available soon in my upcoming zine.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog. Yup, Prince Edward Island is where Anne of Green Gables was based. You can't forget that living here. During the tourist season people come from all over to go on tours and watch the musical. :)

    It's beautiful and quiet here...a much slower pace of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever get any kitty cats, do NOT let them become aware that edamame is on your table. They will ruin all of your meals by sticking their paws/face into the bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...